Frequently Asked Questions

How do I join the MOPH?

You must be active duty or have an honorable/general discharge.  Your DD-214 or equivalent documentation (orders, command letters, etc) can be submitted to validate award. Lifetime membership application fee is $50.00.

To apply online, go to Become a Member, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and follow the instructions. You can pay for the fee by credit card or mail a check when you submit the required documentation.

To apply by mail or email, download the Membership Application.  Complete the form, submit the fees along with the required documentation.

If you have any questions, email membership@purpleheart.org or call 703-642-5360 for Membership.

How do I replace a lost or damaged membership card?

Send $10.00 to MOPH Attn: Supply, 5413-B Backlick Road, Springfield VA 22151; be sure to include your full name, address, and membership number if known.  You can also purchase it online with your member login.

How can I order items from the Supply Room?

The primary way is to order online where you can access the shopping cart and pay by credit card. You must be a Member of the Purple Heart and have a username and password to order merchandise online. An alternate method is go to the Room’s listing of items in the Purple Heart Magazine and order by mail – the prices shown include shipping and handling. Send your order to MOPH Attn: Supply Room, 5413-B Backlick Road, Springfield VA 22151, along with payment by check or money order. At this time, there is no provision for telephone orders, although you certainly can contact Charles if you have any questions at 703-642-5360 x131.

What is the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor?

The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is located in New Windsor, NY and dedicated to collecting, preserving and recognizing service men and women who were awarded the Purple Heart Medal. They offer free enrollment in the Roll of Honor.  You can reach them by phone at 845-561-1765 or at www.thepurpleheart.com.

I need help filing a claim for VA benefits

…or I am having trouble with a pending claim. Can you help me? We have a network of National Service Officers (NSO) across the nation, usually collocated with a VA facility. They exist to help any veteran with VA issues; call 703-642-5360 x120 and request the name and telephone number of the NSO nearest your location or go to the service officer locator.

How do I donate clothing and other items to MOPH?

If you live in Maryland or Virginia, call 301-277-0063, describe your items and arrange for a pick-up. If you live in other states, call 888-414-4483 and follow the prompts to find a location near you. Most questions about donations can be answered here.  For more information visit the Foundation at www.purpleheartfoundation.org

How do I change my address?

You can change your address online using Member Login, click on My Information to edit.  You can also email membership@purpleheart.org, mail to MOPH Attn: Membership, 5413-B Backlick Road, Springfield VA 22151 or by telephone 703-642-5360.  Please include your membership number, full name, old address, new address and phone number.

How do I find out if someone was awarded a Purple Heart?

That information must come from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) located in St Louis. You can access the Center by going to their website at www.archives.gov/veterans, You can also reach NPRC by mail at National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St Louis, MO 63132-5100 or by phone at 314-801-0800.

Can I get help in logging on to the Purple Heart website?

Your username is your primary email address on record.  If you do not remember your password, you can re-set it on the login screen by clicking on Forgot your Password? link.  Please note that the password is case sensitive.

If the system does not recognize your email address and you are a current member, DO NOT create a new account.  Please email membership@purpleheart.org with your full name, address, and phone number.

Can I subscribe to the Purple Heart Magazine even though I’m not a member?

Yes, you can subscribe to the magazine by mail.  Send your name and address along with payment to: MOPH Attn: Membership, 5413-B Backlick Road, Springfield VA 22151 requesting a subscription. Rates for non-members in the United States and its possessions are $15 per year (6 issues) or $3 per single issue; in other countries, $25 per year, which includes postage. Published bi-monthly.  Delivery is the end of every odd month.