The MOPH Scholarship Program is a competitive scholarship program that awards approximately eighty (80) scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year.
In addition, one of the recipients of the MOPH Scholarship is also selected to receive the Navy SEAL LT Michael P. Murphy Memorial Award. LT Michael P. Murphy was killed in action in 2005 in Afghanistan and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions. This scholarship is awarded in his memory and funded by the Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation of Riverhead, New York.
To be eligible to apply for a MOPH Scholarship, each applicant needs to be a member of one of the following categories:
(1) a Purple Heart recipient who is also a member of MOPH,or
(2) The spouce of a Purple Heart recipient who is a Member of MOPH, or
(3) The direct lineal descendent (child, step-child, adopted child, grandchild or step-grandchild) of a Purple Heart recipient whi is a Menver of MOPH, or
(4) the spouse, widow/widower, or direct lineal descendent as defined above of a service member killed-in-action or who died of wounds. If the Purple Heart recipient is listed as killed-in-action or died of wounds, supporting documentation must accompany the application.
A Purple Heart recipient who is not a member of the MOPH can become a member by applying online through the MOPH website: www.purpleheart.org. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, the Purple Heart recipient must be a current member, a member at the time of his or her death, or documented as killed-in-action or as having died of wounds. If you do not know whether your lineal descendent was a member of MOPH before his or her passing, please contact MOPH Headquarters for assistance at (888) 668-1656 or (703) 642-5360 and ask for MOPH Membership.
Great-grandchildren are not eligible to apply. A MOPH Associate membership or membership in the MOPH Ladies Auxiliary does not by itself convey scholarship eligibility.
In order to receive an MOPH Scholarship, applicants must meet the following three requirements:
(1) be a graduate or upcoming graduate (current senior) of a high school or GED program, and
(2) accepted by or enrolled as a FULL-TIME undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. college, university, or trade school at the time the scholarship is awarded, and
(3) be able to demonstrate the capacity for advanced academic achievement or technical proficiency as demonstrated by maintaining at least a 2.75 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on an un-weighted 4.0 grading system. Graduate students and students going back to school to receive additional undergraduate degrees after successfully completing at least one prior undergraduate degree program are not eligible to apply.
A full-time student means carrying 12 or more credit hours per semester, or 18-quarter credit hours, or as determined by the school. The academic requirement of a 2.75 GPA may be waived for a Purple Heart recipient whi is a member of the MOPH.
An applicant may receive a maximum of two scholarships awarded in non-consecutive years. Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, incidental fees, room and board, and other direct costs associated with higher education. MOPH scholarship funds cannot be used for transportation expenses, summer school, to pay pre-existing educational loans, or to pay for a special program/research project.
2017 MOPH Scholarship Application: Click Here to acess out current application. All completed applications are due by January 27, 2017 at 5 pm EST.
2016 MOPH Scholarship Program Results: Click Here to see the list of scholarship recipients for the 2016 MOPH Scholarship Program.
If you have any questions about the MOPH Scholarship Program, please contact the Scholarship Chairwoman or Mr. Stewart McKeown at MOPH Headquarters (703)-642-5360 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org