The MOPH Scholarship Program is a competitive scholarship program that awards approximately eighty (80) scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year.
In addition, one of the recipients of the MOPH Scholarship is also selected to receive the Navy Seal Lt. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Award. Lt. Michael P. Murphy was killed in action in 2005 in Afghanistan and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions. This scholarship is awarded in his memory and funded by the Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation of Riverhead, New York.
To be eligible to apply for a MOPH Scholarship, each applicant needs to be a member of one of the following categories:
(1) a Purple Heart recipient who is also a member of MOPH, or
(2) his/her spouse, or
(3) his/her direct lineal descendent (child, step-child, adopted child, grandchild or step-grandchild), or
(4) the spouse, widow/widower, or direct lineal descendent of a service member killed-in-action or who died of wounds. If the Purple Heart recipient is listed as killed-in-action or died of wounds, supporting documentation must accompany the application.
Great-grandchildren are not eligible to apply. A MOPH Associate membership or membership in the MOPH Ladies Auxiliary does not by itself convey scholarship eligibility.
In order to receive an MOPH Scholarship, applicants must meet the following three requirements:
(1) be a graduate or upcoming graduate (current senior) of a high school or GED program, and
(2) accepted by or enrolled as a FULL-TIME undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. college, university, or trade school at the time the scholarship is awarded, and
(3) be able to demonstrate the capacity for advanced academic achievement or technical proficiency as demonstrated by maintaining at least a 2.75 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on an un-weighted 4.0 grading system. Graduate students and students going back to school to receive additional undergraduate degrees after successfully completing at least one prior undergraduate degree program are not eligible to apply.
2015 MOPH Scholarship Program Results: Click Here to see the list of scholarship recipients for the 2015 MOPH Scholarship Program.
All applicants will receive a letter. Included with each recipient letter will be a "Scholarship Winner's 2015-2016 College Information" form. This form is to be filled out and returned to MOPH. An online version of this form for emailing is available HERE. The completed form needs to be returned to MOPH along with the signed Multimedia Consent Form by June 12, 2015.
2016 MOPH Scholarship Program: The application for the 2016 MOPH Scholarship Program is currently being finalized and is not available at this time. Once the application is finalized, it will be posted to this website. The MOPH Scholarship Committee anticipates that the new application will be available in mid-September 2015.
If you have any questions about the MOPH Scholarship Program, please contact the Scholarship Chairman or Mr. Stewart McKeown at MOPH Headquarters (703)-642-5360 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org